DragonFly

DragonFly
Spring is Here!!!

MOO

Thursday, April 28, 2011

GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!

The photography business has change dramatically over the course of the last 15years.  I can remember shooting a portrait session or wedding on a weekend and dropping it off at the lab on Monday morning.  Most professional labs at that time ran proofs on a 3day turn around time.  Depending on demand you could request a 100% rush, tis meant they would turn your film and proofs in 24hrs, but of course you would pay double the price!  This of course unless you WORKED at the lab, or had a hook up.  Most professionals didn't trust their film to one hour labs due to the fact that their personnel training was minimal and most did not require quality control standards on their equipment, pro labs did.  On top of that, they cut 35 mm negs in 4 shot groups which did not fit the 6 shot negative pages that Printfile marketed to professionals.  Some professionals did use one hour labs though.  I will not name any names, because some are still in business, but I printed 1000's of rolls for a few professionals.  Their color quality needs were very demanding and luckily I have a very keen color eye.  By then I was managing a branch for Wolf Camera, I trained my lab techs personally so I could guarantee consistent results in processing and quality control, plus I QC'd most everything that the customers saw!  I guess I have always cared a little more.....even when working in retail.....

Believe it or not, the digital workflow, as apposed to conventional photography, is actually much more demanding on the photographer.  When Kodak began developing digital it was to market more to the amateur consumer end of the market.  It was fueled by a consumer who sought instant gratification (do not get me wrong, this is what I love about digital), not wanting to even wait one hour to see the prints......or spend the money on processing..... or the shoe boxes full of negatives.... which had to be kept in the dark and climate control to keep them from fading.

The first digital camera had a resolution of 320 x 640, the equivalent of a photo quality thumbnail print.  It had internal memory only and held about 40 shots before you had to download the files to your computer.  The size of the image was not bad at that time due to the resolution of typical 15 inch monitors, though and after downloading you could view your beautiful work on the computer and print out a very pixelated 4x6 print on your color inkjet printer......wow what a beginning.

What film allowed was breathing room......you had some lag time between the lab, the shoot, meeting with clients, prospecting locations, doing paperwork, filing negatives, ordering prints, and the ever important marketing.

Today, with the standards of society, the workflow is an organized chaotic whirlwind at least for this photographer......
A typical day.....wake up (a definate plus)!
Check email while getting the kids ready for school....
After dropping the kids off, checking Smugmug site for orders, comments, likes, dislikes, visitor stats from the day before, uploading images to site galleries and social media sites to drive potential customer traffic
Editing images in Photoshop CS5 for customer orders, for posting and sending out to customers, the lab, or for portfolio
Tagging images on social media, commenting, answering comments......
Hit the streets for marketing opportunities with local organizations and businesses(cold calling door to door B2B marketing, which I have much experience in).....
Pick up kids from school, while waiting in line Blogging to submit fodder for my most favorite people, or just to get junk off my chest......
Submitting blog.....breaking up fights between siblings, picking up slurpees, sports practice.....etc.
Dinner with the family, either cooked by yours truly, or consumed while in the car on the way to a school or church or family function.....all the while constantly keeping an eye on social media with my Blackberry or iPad......
Fight with the kids, I mean get the kids ready for bed.....they love to stay up?.....
Usually around 9-9:30 pm back on the computer editing images and jamming to Pandora radio through my pimpin' old-skool head phones to the Jay-Z station.....
1:00-3:00 am.....go to bed
6:00 am GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!!!!

You know what though, I would not trade ONE MINUTE of it for any other career in the world.....I meet some of the most beautiful people and children in the world....and get to create memories for them and make them smile for a living.....My kids love having me around, I talk to God constantly, and I feel in my heart that my passion for this is smiled upon by my Creator.....He tells me so every minute of every day........
Or is He telling me to be a Professional Golfer?.......I doubt it I don't have time to work on my game!

No comments:

Post a Comment